Last year, I decided to design and build a Lego monitor stand. Several people have asked me about it, so I figured I would finally post not just pictures, but the LXF (Lego Digital Designer) file, as well. If you want to play around with it, all you have to do is:
- Download Lego Digital Designer (it’s free, and available for Mac and Windows).
- Download the monitor stand model file.
- Open it up and have fun.
If you actually want to order the pieces to build the stand, I would not recommend doing so through the Lego Digital Designer tool. First of all, the auto-generated building guide is worthless, and the set is very expensive to order. Instead, I would recommend something like this:
- Go to File → Export BOM.
- Open the resulting Excel file which is a manifest of all the pieces. (You can also view it on Google Docs.)
- Find the pieces in your own Lego collection, order them online, or buy them from a local Lego store. (You can also buy/sell/trade Legos online through sites like BrickLink.)
- Build the stand by sight. (It’s easy if you have the model in front of you.)